Let's Talk About
the Impact Your
Investing Can Make
Family Investment Education
Donors now have an opportunity to use donated funds to support for-profit ventures established to achieve sustained positive change in issues of social and environmental concern. At LOHAS, donor-advised funds (“DAFs”) are retooled to be impact investment vehicles, allowing families to become their own impact venture capitalists.
UNLOCKING THE INVESTMENT POTENTIAL OF DONOR-ADVISED FUNDS
Unlike most DAF sponsors that limit donors to making grants to nonprofits, or the handful of DAF sponsors that permit donors to do impact investing with their DAFs but restrict those activities with investment minimums or a pre-determined list of approved recipients, LOHAS has unlocked the world of DAF impact investing by encouraging corporate donors to invest in what makes the most sense for them, structured as desired, and in the amounts they deem appropriate to achieve their strategic social and environmental impact goals.
LEAVING A LASTING FAMILY LEGACY
Due to the risk-free nature of DAF investments, a LOHAS DAF can serve as an ideal investment training ground for children and young adults. Not only are children provided with the opportunity to invest in the socially and environmentally impactful areas of most interest to them, but also parents or grandparents can establish a legacy of giving to causes the family cares about in a way that is simultaneously instructive in essential areas of traditional private investing (such as performing due diligence, structuring deals, evaluating returns, etc.).
At LOHAS, DAFs can serve as de facto impact venture capital funds with donors (or their designated representatives) serving as fund managers. Let LOHAS work with your family to create a DAF-enabled investment education program that fits your needs.
HOW DOES LOHAS HELP?
The LOHAS team of professionals provide:
- Hands-on support setting up or transferring your DAF
- Guidance in establishing your impact investing strategy
- Deal sourcing and analysis to satisfy investment goals
- Ongoing performance reporting and investment support
- Fees paid only from DAF funds
LOHAS actively advises donors about impact investing and helps enable investment strategies that are designed to make a measurable and sustainable difference. LOHAS supports INDIVIDUALS AND FAMILIES as well as CORPORATIONS and FINANCIAL ADVISORS.
LOHAS DAF ADVANTAGES
Whether you are an individual looking to become your own impact venture capitalist or simply to teach your children or grandchildren about investing, a LOHAS donor-advised fund has many advantages:
- An immediate tax deduction within the year the contribution is made
- No distribution minimums, fewer tax and reporting requirements, and a greater degree of privacy than is available through a corporate foundation
- The ability to invest your DAF funds into the socially or environmentally impactful companies, funds, projects, or productions you select
- A way to use risk-free donated capital to explore the world of impact investing